STEM Scholars Program
Congresswoman Underwood invites Illinois 14th Congressional District sophomore and junior high school students interested in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics to apply for the STEM Scholar Program for the 2021 calendar year. Students accepted to the program will join the Congresswoman on visits to various STEM-related businesses and facilities. Visits will include demonstrations, discussions with local business leaders, employees, educators, and researchers to learn how STEM is being utilized in the local area.
How to apply
STEM Scholars will need the following required items to apply:
- Expression of Interest - Why are you interested in the STEM Scholar program and what do you hope to learn? (max. 250 words)
- Essay - What challenges does the STEM field face currently? (max. 500 words)
- OR With the rise of STEM, what greater challenges, if any, does society face?
- Resume including a list of activities, accomplishments, and awards.
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher or mentor.
- A signed Parental Consent and Photo Authorization Form. Please print, have a parent or guardian complete this form, and create a digital copy by scanning a PDF or taking a picture.
Please assemble these documents before submitting your application through the Google Form. Students can submit their applications here starting on Friday, November 7th. The deadline to apply is Monday, December 28, 2020.
For questions, please reach out to Rep. Underwood’s West Chicago Office at 630-549-2190.